Cheney Hall, Springfield College’s main dining facility, was dedicated on June 15, 1968 to Ralph L. Cheney, class of 1901, and R. William Cheney, class of 1933, a father and son who were very influential at Springfield College. On the bottom right, Sue Cheney (‘69), the daughter of R. William Cheney, displays the hall’s new sign.
Cheney Hall opened on April 1, 1968, replacing the existing cafeteria, Woods Hall, and increasing the serving capacity from 300 to 800 per sitting. In an attempt to keep up with other colleges, Springfield College and ARAMARK, the school’s food service company, made renovations to the dining hall in 2004. These changes included a more expansive seating area with two different levels of seating and various stations with different types of food.
On the bottom left, R. William Cheney (left) is shaking hands with an unidentified man. R. William Cheney (August 17, 1909 – June 5, 1965) served as dean of students and professor of guidance at Springfield College. Inspired by his father, a professor of sociology at Springfield College, Cheney attended Springfield and graduated with his Bachelor’s in 1933. In 1943, he graduated with his Master’s from Yale Divinity School in New York.
In 1946, he came back to Springfield College as dean of freshmen. Six years later, he was promoted to dean of students. In this position, he helped the redevelopment of the university, which included such projects as initiating a freshman orientation program, developing a student handbook, and initiating an emergency student loan fund.